A Set of Old School Primitive Baptist Articles of Faith
Briar Fork Primitive Baptist Church
Updated 27 December 2007
1. We believe in only one true and living God, the Father, the Word and the Holy Ghost.
1 John 5:7- For there are three that bear record in heaven, the
Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
John 1:1 - In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
John 10:30 - I and my Father are one.
John 17:3 - And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.
2. We believe that the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments are the Word of God, and the only rule of faith and practice. King James Translation only.
2 Tim 3:16 - All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and
is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in
2 Pet 1:21 - For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.
Heb 1:2 - Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;
3. We believe in the doctrine of election and that God chose His people in Christ before the foundation of the world.
Eph 1:4 - According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the
world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
Psa 33:12 - Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD; and the people whom he hath chosen for his own inheritance.
1 Pet 1:2 - Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.
1 Cor 1:30 - But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:
4. We believe in the doctrine of original sin.
Rom 7:14 - For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal,
sold under sin.
Rom 5:12 - Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:
5. We believe in man's impotency to recover himself from the fallen state he is in by nature by his own free will and ability.
John 6:44 - No man can come to me except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.
6. We believe that sinners are justified in the sight of God only by the imputed righteousness of Christ.
2 Cor 5:21 - For he hath made him to
be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God
Rom 10:4 - For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.
7. We believe that God's elect shall be called, converted, regenerated, and sanctified by the Holy Ghost.
1 Cor 1:2 - Unto the church of God which is a Corinth, to them
that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in
every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours:
Titus 3:5 - Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
Heb 2:11 - For both he that sanctifieth and they who are sanctified are all of one: for which cause he is not ashamed to call them brethren,
8. We believe that the saints shall be preserved in grace and never fall finally away.
John 10:28 - And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
9. We believe that baptism, the Lord's supper, and washing of the saints' feet are ordinances of Jesus Christ, and that true believers are the only subjects of these ordinances, and the true mode of baptism is immersion.
Mark 1:9 - And it came to pass in those days, that Jesus came from Nazareth of
Galilee, and was baptized of John in Jordan.
Mat 26:26 - And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body.
Mat 26:27 - And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it;
Mat 26:28 - For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.
1 Cor 11:29 - For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.
10. We believe in the resurrection of the dead and in a general judgment.
Mat 28:5 - And the angel answered and said unto the women, Fear not ye: for I know that ye seek Jesus, which was crucified.
Mat 28:6 - He is not here: for he is risen, an he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay.
Mat 28:7 - And go quickly, and tell his disciples that he is risen from the dead; and, behold, he goeth before you into Galilee; there shall ye see him: lo, I have told you.
Acts 24:15 - And have hope toward God, which they themselves also allow, that there shall be a resurrection of the dead, both of the just and unjust.
Acts 17:31 - Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.
11. We believe that the punishment of the wicked and the joys of the righteous will be eternal.
John 5:28 - Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
John 5:29 - And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.
12. We believe that no minister has a right to administration of the ordinances, only such as are regularly baptized, called, and come under the imposition of hands by a presbytery.
Lev 8:1 - And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
Lev 8:2 - Take Aaron and his sons with him, and the garments, and the anointing oil, and a bullock for the sin offering, and two rams, and a basket of unleavened bread;
1 Tim 4:14 - Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery.
Heb 5:4 - And no man taketh this honour unto himself, but he that is called of God, as was Aaron.
Acts 8:2 - And devout men carried Stephen to his burial, and made great lamentation over him.
13. We believe that none but regularly baptized members have a right to commune at the Lord's Table.
Luke 22:14 - And when the hour was came, he sat down, and the twelve apostles with him.